Hays County nears 100,000 voters before Election Day

Trevor Newman hands out flyers to the Texas State men’s basketball team Wednesday, Oct. 14, 2020, outside of the Performing Arts Center at Texas State University. Newman is a member of the Texas State Democrats, and the group was handing out informational sheets outside of the Performing Arts Center campus polling location.

The day before Election Day, Hays County reported 97,477 people have voted since Oct. 13, surpassing the total voter turnouts of the 2016 and 2018 general elections.
Hays County’s total in-person check-ins Oct. 13-30 is 85,111, and total mail-in ballots returned as of Nov. 2 is 12,366.
According to the county, the total number of voters counted in the 2016 general election is 73,589, including votes counted on Election Day. In the 2018 general election, a total of 80,499 ballots were cast.
A total of 7,662 voters cast ballots at the PAC since early voting began Oct. 13. Additionally, 297 provisional ballots have been turned in.
Provisional ballots are ballots cast when a voter’s eligibility is in question, such as when a voter has an incorrect address due to moving near the voter registration deadline. If these ballots are later considered ineligible, they will not be counted.
All polling locations in Hays County, including the PAC, will be open to voters from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Election Day. All locations can be viewed on the Hays County elections website.
To reach the PAC via Bobcat Shuttle on Election Day, use the Lantana bus stop on the route 14 Campus Loop shuttle or the route 20 Aquarena Springs shuttle. For more information on campus shuttle services, visit the Bobcat Shuttle webpage.
Edward Gary Street garage can be used for parking on Election Day. If proof of voting and an Edward Gary Street parking garage entry ticket are shown to university staff at the PAC, a free parking voucher will be provided.
For voting locations and times in San Marcos, visit Texas State’s voter information webpage. For a detailed guide to the 2020 election including COVID-19 safety, mail-in ballots and sample ballots, visit The University Star’s voter guide.