Bobcats clinch Sun Belt’s regular-season title for the second year

Texas State junior guard Drue Drinnon (55) attempts to block the path of Lamar University sophomore guard Casey Brooks (22), Wednesday, Dec. 15, 2021, at Strahan Arena. The Bobcats won 67-47.

Texas State men’s basketball (20-6 overall, 11-3 Sun Belt) defeated the South Alabama Jaguars (18-10, overall, 8-7 Sun Belt) 55-52 to clinch the Bobcats’ second straight Sun Belt regular-season conference championship on Wednesday night. 
The Bobcats, who were coming off a seven-game win streak, put on a defensive battle against the Jaguars. Coming out of the first half, the two teams were tied 25-25.
While the first half had many lead changes, the second half saw the Bobcats trailing for most of the second half. This changed after a 7-0 run that was capped off with a three-pointer by junior guard Drue Drinnon which gave the Bobcats the lead making it 50-47 with 1:56 to go in the second.
The Jaguars managed to tie it up late with a three-pointer from senior guard Kayo Goncalves making the score 50-50 with 55 seconds left in the game.
In the most crucial part of the game, senior guard Caleb Asberry was able to sink a three-pointer with just 25 seconds left which proved to be the difference in the game.
The Jaguars added two points off of a dunk late but after free throws from senior guard Mason Harrell, the Bobcats ended the nail-biter game with a 55-52 win. 
Next up, the Bobcats will face the Troy Trojans at 8 p.m. on Friday at Trojan Arena in Troy Alabama. The game will air on ESPN+.