Bobcat comeback comes up short against Ragin’ Cajuns

Tara Oltmann throws the ball back to first base to get the ULM baserunner out. Photo by Kate Connors.

Kate Connors

Kate Connors

Kate Connors

Colton McWilliams, Staff Reporter

Texas State’s comeback came up short as the Bobcats fell to the first seed Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns 4-3 on Thursday in the quarterfinals of the Sun Belt Championship tournament.

Texas State drew first blood in the game on a Hailey MacKay sacrifice fly to score junior outfielder Christiana McDowell. After the Cajuns tied it up in the bottom of the 1st, senior outfielder Mari Cranek scored on a wild pitch in the top of the 4th inning to retake the lead.

As the Bobcats trailed 4-2 in the top of the 7th inning, Cranek scored freshman catcher Cat Crenek on an RBI single to cut the lead to one before Louisiana closed out the game.

Junior Dalilah Barrera took the loss in the game, going 3 innings with 3 hits and 3 runs. while sophomore Megan King closed the game out going 3 innings and allowing 2 hits and 1 run.

Texas State faces in-state rival UT-Arlington in an elimination game on Friday at 10 a.m. at Bobcat Softball Stadium.

About the Photographer