Houston knocks off Texas State after three-game win streak.

Senior Krista Jacobs winds up as she pitches to an awaiting Georgia State batter. Photo by Kate Connors

The Bobcat softball team were hoping to prove to their in-state opponents they were a different team after their 10-0 and 8-3 losses during the tournament.
Despite holding a 3-1 lead in the top of the seventh inning, Texas State was unable to secure the win after Houston scored three runs in the inning on route to a 4-3 victory.
The loss drops the Bobcats’ record to 25-20 overall.
Though disappointed with the loss, head softball coach Ricci Woodard said she was still proud of the team considering how far they have come since the beginning of the season.
“Considering where we were at the end of February and where we are now,” Woodard said. “We are a totally different ballclub and I think that’s more important than this win… the thing we didn’t do is that we didn’t finish so that’s what we have to do in the next six to nine ball games is that we have to finish.”
Texas State struck first in the first inning as Tara Oltmann singled into center field to score Mari Craneck to take a 1-0 lead. Despite having two runners on first and third with one out, the Bobcats were unable to score any more runs.
In the second inning, Texas State was able to add another run as Christina McDowell ground out to score Bailey Carter to add to their 2-0 lead. In the bottom of the third, the Cougars made a pitching change after an ArieAnn Bell single. Bell was able to score on a Hailey MacKay single as the Bobcats took a 3-0 lead.
Houston was able to load the bases on three straight singles in the top of the fifth inning with one out. Despite the Cougars adding one run, Megan was able to strike one batter out and fly out the other to preserve lead 3-1.
In the top of the seventh, Houston capitalized by scoring three runs including a back-breaking two-run double with two outs remaining in the game.
Despite having a runner on second in the bottom of the seventh, Texas State wasn’t able to score the runner and lost 4-3.
Megan King was the lone pitcher for the Bobcats going seven innings, four runs, nine hits, and two strikeouts.
Oltmann and Hailey MacKay added the to the run total along with Christina McDowell’s ground out to score another run.
The game was the kickoff to Ovarian Cancer Awareness Week as Texas State wore special teal jerseys. The Bobcats plan to wear the jerseys again this Friday.
Texas State concludes this week with an important home series with Troy as the Bobcats look to chase the Trojans for second place in the Sun Belt Conference standings.