Bobcat softball closes out season with Sun Belt Championship elimination game

Claire Partain, Sports Editor

Texas State softball came to an end on Friday after an 8-0 loss in an elimination game against third-seeded UT-Arlington in the Sun Belt Championship Tournament.

The Bobcats concluded their season with a record of 29-25 overall and 16-10 in conference for a fourth-place finish in the Sun Belt.

Defensive errors and stranding runners on base combined for a scoreless run-rule loss for the Bobcats. The team had runners in scoring position for three of the six innings and suffered two fielding errors in the critical turning point of the game.

UTA hit their stride early on, gaining the first run of the game at the bottom of the first inning on an RBI groundout.

Texas State nearly answered with a run of their own, loading the bases off of base hits from junior catcher and freshman designated player Samara Lagway before stranding the runners off of a double play.

By the third inning, UTA tacked on five more runs, capitalizing off of two Texas State defensive errors to end the inning at 6-0 before finishing off the Bobcats on a run rule in the bottom of the sixth inning.

The team tallied 6 hits to UTA’s 12, with sophomore infielder Tara Oltmann gaining two hits during her three at-bats.

Senior Krista Jacobs (2-7) took the loss pitching for the Bobcats, allowing two hits and one walk in her two innings pitched.

Junior Dalilah Barrera pitched the final three innings to allow 10 hits, two walks and Texas State’s sole strikeout of the game.

Follow Texas State softball on Twitter @TXStateSoftball for more information on the 2019 season and things to come for next spring.