Women’s golf places 15th at The Dickson

Graphic by Shayan Faradineh | Managing Editor

The Texas State Women’s golf team placed 15th in a field with eight ranked teams inside the top-50 most recent golf rankings.
The Dickson tournament finished after 18 holes due to heavy saturation on the course. Sasikarn Somboonsup, sophomore, competed as the individual champion with a round-best 5-under par 67.
Somboonsup had the tournament-best six birdies through 18 holes, including four of the last five holes to close out the back nine. Somboonsup was tied for the tournament lead in par 3 scoring, shooting 2-under through the four par-3 holes at the tournament courses at the Woodlands Country Club, while also placing second in scoring for par 4 holes, shooting 3-under for the day.
For Somboonsup, The Dickson marks the second time that she has finished inside the top-10 this spring.
Sarah White, junior, posted the second-best score for the Bobcats, shooting 5-over 77 and placing in a tie for 57th. White’s play was enhanced by an eagle on the 473-yard par 5 no. 1. She also registered birdies on no. 7 and no. 14.
Anne-Charlotte Mora, junior, ended in third among the Bobcat golfers with a one-round score of 6-over 78. She birdied no. 2.
While Sean Yi Yip, sophomore, tied for 84th overall with a score of 10-over 82. Sachika Singh, freshman, rounded out the field for the Bobcats, finishing 90th with a 12-over 84 for the round.
The Bobcats finished four strokes better than the only other Sun Belt Conference team playing in The Dickson, the Troy Trojans.
Texas State will return next week at the UTRGV Invitational. The first round will begin March 5 with the final day ending on March 6.