Women’s golf to take on Kissing Tree Invitational

Star File Photo.

Texas State’s women’s golf will host the Kissing Tree Invitational at the Kissing Tree Golf Club in San Marcos on Nov. 1-2.
The first two rounds will start at 8 a.m. on Nov. 1 and the final round will begin at 8:30 a.m. on Nov. 2. The Kissing Tree Invitational will not be a collegiate event, allowing both university-affiliated and unaffiliated golfers to compete.
Texas State is ranked at No. 4 in the Sun Belt Conference with an average score of 298.29. The Bobcats’ weekend lineup will only include freshmen Matilda Cederholm and Halle Whitney.
There will be nine teams competing against Texas State in the tournament, including the University of Houston, Incarnate Word, Nebraska, Southern Methodist University, Texas A&M University, Tulane University and Texas State rival the University of Texas-San Antonio.
The remaining teams are Baylor, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and Texas Christian University, all of which are Big 12 competitors.
All four Big 12 teams competed alongside one another in the Cowgirl Classic, hosted by Oklahoma State in Stillwater, Oklahoma, Oct. 22-23.
Baylor took home first place with the help of freshmen Britta Snyder, Rosie Belsham and Diane Baillieux who were able to seize victory in their final hole. Baylor finished with an overall score of 891 (+27).
Texas Tech trailed behind Baylor by one point, placing second with a final score of 892 (+28). Sofia Garcia finished second individually as one of the three Red Raiders ranked in the top 10 players; she had a final score of 218 (+2).
Oklahoma State followed third with a final score of 899 (+35). Sophomore Isabella Fierro tied for third with Texas Tech’s Linyu (Anna) Dong and BYU’s Allysha Mae Mateo with a final score of 221 and +5 par.
TCU placed seventh (second to last) with an overall score of 936 and no individual players in the Top 10.
Cederholm and Whitney began their collegiate careers with an impressive outing at the Betsy Rawls Invitational. Cederholm was Texas State’s top finisher, placing 44th with a score of 232. Whitney tied for 46th place with Oklahoma State golfer freshman Angelica Pfefferkorn. Whitney and Pfefferkorn both finished the tournament with a score of 237.