Hays County largely unaffected by Abbott order to limit mail ballot drop boxes

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott issued an executive order Oct. 1 limiting mail ballot drop boxes to one per county, but Hays County will not be heavily impacted because it only has a single location.

Texans submitting mail ballots in person will be limited to one location per county during the general election, according to an executive order by Gov. Greg Abbott, but Hays County will not be heavily impacted because it only has a single location.
Hays County’s single drop off location is its Elections Office. The order also states, beginning Oct. 2, early voting clerks will be required to allow poll watchers to monitor any “activity conducted at the early voting clerk’s office location related to the in-person delivery of a marked mail ballot.”
“We must take extra care to strengthen ballot security protocols throughout the state,” Abbott said in a press release. “These enhanced security protocols will ensure greater transparency and will help stop attempts at illegal voting.”
Hays County is different from other Texas counties, like Travis County, who have multiple drop off points for completed mail-in ballots.
“If you’re an election administrator county, you only have one office; you don’t have sub stations,” said Jennifer Anderson, Hays County Elections administrator and voter registrar. “That’s why [Hays County] only has one location.”
In July, Abbott issued an order extending early voting to Oct. 13-30. The order also allowed voters “to deliver a marked mail ballot in person to the early voting clerk’s office prior to and including on election day.” 
Voter registration for the general election ends Oct. 5. Texas State’s Performing Arts Center will be among the early voting and election day voting locations in Hays County.
This is a developing situation. The University Star will continue to provide updates as more information becomes available.