Bobcats pick up first win of the season

Graphic by Shayan Faradineh | Managing Editor

The Texas State softball team opened the 2018 season at home with a 3-0 victory over the Sam Houston State University Bearkats.
Entering the 2018 season, Texas State was considered the favorite to win the Sun Belt Conference title. The team made a deep run during the 2017 postseason, eventually falling to Lousiana in the championship game. The Bobcats’ victory against the Bearkats is the first step in making up for the disappointment of 2017.
In the circle for the Bobcats was senior star pitcher Randi Rupp. The ace struck out 13 Bearkats and allowed just two hits in her seven-inning performance. Rupp’s 13 strikeouts give her a total 966 in her career as a Bobcat.
Early in the game, the Bearkats looked to catch Rupp off guard, grabbing two hits and getting on base first. Texas State escaped unfazed and unharmed after the situation.
Once the Bobcats’ ace settled in, the Bearkats found themselves unable to produce runs.
After getting out of a bad situation in the first inning, Texas State was unable to generate an offensive attack in the bottom of the first leaving one on base.
The second through the top of the sixth inning saw more of the same, both teams were unable to take the upper hand, remaining at a 0-0 standstill.
It was finally in the bottom of the sixth when the Bobcats scored the first runs of the game. Texas State went up 3-0. The flurry of runs was the result of a Bearkats error that brought in sophomore infielder Baliee Carter, sophomore center/infielder Haleigh Davis and senior outfielder Jaclyn Molenaar for the scores.
Despite picking up the victory, the Bobcats offense struggled to come alive with the team, leaving seven runners on base during the game.