Bobcats suffer close loss to Boston College

Graphic by Shayan Faradineh | Managing Editor

The Texas State softball team fell 4-3 to Boston College Monday, Feb. 12 at the Bobcat Softball Stadium. The loss drops the Bobcats to a 2-3 record and improves the Eagles to 1-4 on the season.
Boston College struck first in the top of the third inning. The Eagles hit a home run after a leadoff double to put them up 2-0.
At the bottom of the fourth, Hailey MacKay, sophomore infielder, knocked in a double to left centerfield. She would then advance to third on a groundout to the third baseman. Ariel Ortiz, senior infielder, hit a pop up ball just a little shy for the centerfielder to catch it, and sent MacKay home and cut the score to two.
To start the sixth inning, ArieAnn Bell, freshman outfielder, was a pinch hitter and knocked the ball to left field for a double. Christiana McDowell, sophomore outfielder, then came in as pinch runner for Bell. Brianna Sannem, freshman infielder, hit a bunt towards first base. Afterward, the first baseman picked up the ball but missed Sannem and also threw the ball late to third where McDowell was.
McDowell would then score off of a single to left field by MacKay. Ortiz later hit a fly ball to center that was enough to bring Sannem to home plate and tie the ball game 3-3.
In the seventh, Boston College drew a leadoff walk, then a throwing error placed a runner on first and third base.
At the bottom of the inning, Boston College’s pitcher Jessica Drewsick was able get a ground out to take the victory.
The Bobcats will take a road trip this weekend to play in the Littlewood Classic hosted by Arizona State University. Texas State’s first game will be Friday, Feb. 16, at 11 a.m. against Illinois State.