Texas State falls short to Florida State

Graphic by Shayan Faradineh | Managing Editor

The Texas State softball team dropped to no. 9 Florida State University, 4-2, Feb. 9 at the Bobcat Softball Stadium.
The Seminoles took an early lead with one run on the board with a sac fly in the top of the second.
The Bobcats answered back when sophomore infielder Hailey MacKay got the Bobcats on the board with a solo shot to the left center.
The Seminoles loaded the bases in the top of the third, but senior pitcher Randi Rupp induced a groundout to second.
Rupp had a clean frame for the Bobcats and freshman infielder Tara Oltmann leadoff in the bottom of the fourth.
MacKay had another solo shot of the game which put the Bobcats on top heading into the fifth 2-1. In response, the Seminoles put a trio of runs on the board to gain the lead in the bottom of the fifth.
The Bobcats went down in order and the opponents led by a pair. A quick 1-2-3 inning for Rupp brought the Bobcats back to the lineup, still trailing by a pair of runs.
The Bobcats headed into the final inning down by two. Rupp was granted the loss for the night, knocking her record to 1-1 on the season. She struck out five Seminole batters and allowed four runs on seven hits over seven innings.
The Bobcats were led offensively by MacKay’s two-homer day and she ended the afternoon 2-for-3 with RBIs. Other hits came from junior utility Mari Cranek and junior outfielder Kennedy Cline. Cranek’s hit was the first of her Texas State career.