Bobcats extend win streak to seven

Graphic by Shayan Faradineh | Managing Editor

The Texas State softball team earned its 12th victory of the season in a 7-1 rout of the University of Texas San Antonio Road Runners.
This is the Bobcats’ seventh consecutive win since starting the season 5-4. Texas State is 12-4 overall with a 2-3 record at home and a 2-1 record in away games.
Striking first, the Roadrunners jumped out to an early 1-0 lead, after Ashlynn Walls, Roadrunner freshman infielder, singled up the middle bringing Celeste Loughman, sophomore outfielder, home for the score.
The second, third and fourth frames saw both teams in a defensive struggle, neither allowing any runs to be scored.
It was in the top of the fifth when the Texas State lineup came to life, scoring seven runs in the inning. The onslaught began when Bailee Carter, sophomore infielder, got on base off of a single to left field. With Haleigh Davis, junior infieilder, and Mari Cranek reaching first and second and Carter on third, the Bobcats found themselves in a loaded bases situation.
The first of Texas State’s seven runs came when Carter reached home after Jaclyn Molenaar, senior outfielder, advanced to first on an error on second base. The next two runs resulted after an error by third base brought home Cranek and Davis for the scores.
With bases loaded once again, Ariel Ortiz, senior infielder, singled down the right field line, bringing home MacKay, Molenaar and McDowell for the triple.
Holding a dominating 6-1 lead after scoring six runs in the inning, the Bobcats struck one final time as Tara Oltmann, freshman infielder, hit a SAC fly to bring home Ortiz for the seventh run of the night.
The final frames went scoreless as the Bobcats held the Roadrunners to just one run.
Randi Rupp, senior pitcher, put on an impressive performance, going the distance for yet another complete game. The star pitcher threw 101 pitches and after giving up one run in the first shut down UTSA through six straight innings.
Next up for the Bobcats is the Texas A&M Invite where they’ll first be facing off against Utah, March 2, at 10 a.m.