Bobcats bounce back with 6-5 win

Graphic by Brooke Phillips | Sports Editor

The Texas State baseball team beat the University of Incarnate Word 6-5 at Bobcat Ballpark March 21.
The Bobcats fell behind 0-2 in the third inning and were unable to record their first run until the seventh inning, courtesy of a Ryan Newman, junior infielder, and his homerun over the left-field wall.
The game’s starting pitcher, Wes Engle, junior left-handed pitcher, went six innings, allowing two runs on seven hits and recording two strikeouts.
Braden Pearson, senior left-handed pitcher, came in for relief and was credited for the win, holding Incarnate Word to no hits and recording a strikeout to get out of a jam in the ninth inning.
The Bobcats were able to record two runs in the eighth inning, and then three runs in the game’s final inning, including the walk-off RBI double by Jaylen Hubbard, junior infielder.
“As a coach, you’re always looking at your offense going into the ninth,” Head Coach Ty Harrington said. “Mickey got beat up on the elbow a little bit when they gave him a good pop, but that gave us a little bit of a spark. I told the guys, ‘It is a twenty-seven out game. Do not let that go unappreciated on either side.’ I thought our kids had great at-bats and that’s what it took.”
The Bobcats will go on the road for a conference series against the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers in a three-game series, with Nicholas Fraze, sophomore pitcher, likely drawing the Friday night start on March 23.