Texas State announces new vice president for Student Affairs

A file photo of a Texas State banner.

Dr. Cynthia L. Hernandez will serve as Texas State’s new vice president for Student Affairs, the university announced in an email to students. 
Hernandez is assuming the role of VPSA following Dr. Joanne Smith’s retirement in May. Dr. Mary Ellen Cavitt has served in an interim role since. 
Hernandez served as the assistant vice president of Student Affairs at Texas A&M University and more recently, the associate vice president of Student Affairs. Hernandez also served as the Title IX deputy for students and as an adjunct professor teaching higher education business and finance development in the Department of Educational Administration and Human Resource Development. 
In addition, Hernandez worked in the area of new student orientation, transition and retention planning for 12 years at Northern Arizona University and Texas A&M.  
Hernandez earned a Bachelor of Science in animal science, Masters of Science in student affairs administration in higher education and a Ph.D. in educational administration from Texas A&M. 
The University Star will update this story with more information as it becomes available.