Traffic collision on IH-35 results in fatality

police+lights
police lights

A New Braunfels woman was killed Dec. 20 after her vehicle struck a highway sign pillar on IH-35 in San Marcos. 
At approximately 3:30 a.m. the San Marcos Police Department, the San Marcos Fire Department and Hays County EMS were dispatched to the scene. The driver was identified as Ashley Lynn Minar, 30.
According to authorities on the scene, they found Minar’s white 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer with significant damage after it struck the pillar. Minar was the only occupant in the vehicle and was observed inside with multiple life threatening injuries.
According to authorities, it appeared the Chevrolet was the only vehicle involved and that it had struck the inside retaining wall before losing control and crossing over three interstate traffic lanes. The vehicle then went through a guardrail and struck the pillar on the driver’s side.
Justice of the Peace Maggie H. Moreno later pronounced Minar deceased and ordered an autopsy. Police say high speeds and potential driver impairment are suspected as being causes of the collision. 
The entrance ramp north of Exit 204, TX-82/TX-123 was shut down for several hours while the main lanes of IH-35 were shut down briefly to allow officers to mark the scene and take photographs.  
The SMPD Collision Investigation Team is continuing to investigate the collision. This is the 15th auto-related fatality in San Marcos in 2020.