San Marcos to host meet and greet for police chief finalists

PoliceWarrant_PM
PoliceWarrant_PM

Update Oct. 7:

The City of San Marcos will host a community meet and greet event Oct. 14 for the two San Marcos Police Department police chief finalists.
The event will take place 5:30-7 p.m. at the Embassy Suites San Marcos Conference Center, Spring Lake Salon, 1001 E McCarty Ln.
Masks are required at the hotel and conference center and attendees should maintain social distancing guidelines during the reception event. Masks may be removed while attendees are eating and drinking.
The final decision for selecting the next police chief will be complete by early November.

Original Story:

The City of San Marcos narrowed its search for the next chief of police to two candidates, not including the current interim police chief Bob Klett.
The first finalist is Chief Robert Brown, who was appointed chief of police in 2007 for the city of Duncanville. Brown began his career in law enforcement in June of 1982 in Waco. He became the first African American sergeant, lieutenant and captain in the history of the University Park Police Department. 
The second finalist is Chief Stan Standridge, who has served more than 25 years with the Abilene Police Department, the last eleven as the chief of police. Standridge currently serves as the president of the Texas Police Chiefs Association, an organization which seeks to promote the professional practice of law enforcement and advocates for high standards of ethical conduct among peace officers. 
City Manager Bert Lumbreras says it was not an easy decision to not include Klett in the final round of police chief interviews.
“[Klett’s] guidance and fortitude throughout a year filled with tragedy with severe injuries to three officers and the line of duty death of Officer Justin Putnam have shown his ability to guide a heartbroken team and to heal our community,” Lumbreras said. “He’s led the SMPD through adversity and we are humbled and grateful to have him continue his leadership as assistant chief of police.”  
The final stage of the interview process includes a public meet-and-greet opportunity Oct. 14, one-on-one interviews with Lumbreras Oct. 15 and council confirmation of the chosen applicant during a late October or early November meeting.
The City will release more information about the meet-and-greet opportunity through press release and on the San Marcos Police Department Facebook page once plans are finalized.