Volleyball sweeps #15 Louisiana

Texas State (9-1, 4-0 Sun Belt) pulled off a statement win with a sweep (25-11, 25-21, 25-14) over nationally-ranked Louisiana at Lafayette (11-1, 5-1 Sun Belt) to open the weekend series on Friday morning in Lafayette, Louisiana.
With the win, the Bobcats increase their win streak to six straight matches and have risen to the top of the West Division in the Sun Belt Conference.
Texas State found its groove early in the first set, tallying five points in a row and never looking back to reach a game-high .560 hitting percentage, taking the set 25-11.
Louisiana sophomore middle blocker Kara Barnes brought the team back in the second set, however, landing five kills to keep the set close. After last tying the match at 20-20, the Bobcats managed to take it away and win the set 25-21.
The third set echoed the first, with the Bobcats keeping Louisiana to a negative hitting percentage (-.029) to sweep the match.
Despite two weeks without play, the Bobcats never missed a beat, hitting .372 (48-13-94) against the No. 15 Ragin’ Cajuns, who have averaged a .129 opponent hitting percentage this season. The ‘Cats were on fire on both sides of the ball, finishing with eight blocks and holding Louisiana to zero aces. Texas State has now finished with five or more blocks for eight games in a row and has held its opposing teams to zero aces twice this season.
Louisiana, who entered the weekend as the Sun Belt Conference leader with a .275 hitting percentage, was held off by the Bobcats to hit just .115 in the match. 
In her first start this season, junior outside hitter Kenedi Rutherford put forth a solid performance, putting in the first two kills of the match for the Bobcats and matching a career-high 11 kills. Senior middle blocker Tyeranee Scott was on fire in all three sets, hitting .500 and matching Rutherford’s 11 kills while also recording a match-high four blocks and career-best four digs. Sophomore outside hitter Lauren Teske logged a season-high .375 hitting percentage and reached 10 kills and nine digs, just short of a double-double.
Junior setter Emily DeWalt nearly doubled the Cajuns’ total assists, turning in 42 assists to Louisiana’s 27. Junior libero Kayla Granado led both teams with 12 digs and landed two of the ‘Cats’ four aces.
The Bobcats will look to keep their spot at the top of the West Division as they continue the series against Louisiana at 6 p.m. on Oct. 16 and 1 p.m. on Oct. 17 in Lafayette.