University police investigate ‘ongoing threat’ in campus sexual assault

police+lights
police lights

The University Police Department is gathering information surrounding an alleged sexual assault on Jan. 29 in a campus residence hall. 
Texas State issued a “Timely Warning” alert about the assault, sent at approximately 6:35 p.m. on Jan. 30, listing a vague description of the suspect. It did not disclose the name or location of the residence hall where the incident allegedly occurred.
University Police Chief Laurie Clouse tells The University Star that detailed information, such as whether the suspect has been arrested, will not be disclosed at this time due to the “ongoing investigation.”
“The purpose of a timely warning is to make sure that our community can take precautions to not become victims,” Clouse says. “So generally, that would mean that the person is not in custody. But that is not the only factor that would cause us to send the [Timely Warning].”
Clouse says UPD is required by the law to issue timely warnings when there is an “ongoing security threat.” 
“If there is a large amount of time in between the time the offense occurred and the time it was reported, we will not be doing a timely warning, because it’s not timely,” Clouse says.
Due to the vague description of the suspect provided, The University Star does not believe listing it in this story will provide valuable information to its audience and has decided to not do so to avoid invoking fear. 
This is a developing story. The Star will provide updates as they are made available.