Keeping you posted: Power, weather updates in San Marcos

H-E-Bs in San Marcos will reduce their store hours due to inclement weather. The stores will close at 7 p.m. on Feb. 14-15. 

Inclement weather expected this past week changed the opening and closing statuses of San Marcos schools and businesses, and The University Star is working to provide live updates on the latest.

Mayor Jane Hughson signed a Declaration of Local State of Disaster on Feb. 13, anticipated to be in effect for seven days unless continued by the City Council or terminated if weather conditions improve. Weather officials are advising people to stay off the roads, if possible, due to expected icy road conditions.

If you are aware of any closures or changes, feel free to email [email protected], or send us a message on any of our social media platforms, @universitystar.

Power Updates

Feb. 19, 7:04 p.m.

ERCOT has returned to normal operations. Rotating outages have ended and San Marcos Electric has restored power to all but 20 customers and is working to bring power back to those individuals. 

Feb. 19

There are about 400 electricity customers with no power. The city anticipates that “all known customer outages” will be restored by noon.
Areas where crews are currently working to restore power:

• San Marcos Treatment Center
  • Redpoint
  • Autumn Chase
  • Castle Rock
  • isolated locations on Oak Ridge and Craddock
  • The Heights.

Feb. 18

According to the City of San Marcos, people should not experience rotating outages anymore unless ERCOT makes clear otherwise. Nearly 3,000 customers are still without power. The city is prioritizing restoring power to people without it the longest.
Some areas where crews are working to restore power:

• Elm Hill Court
  • Oak Ridge
  • Post Oak Villa
  • The Junction
  • The Woods
  • Blanco River Lodge
  • Blanco River Village
  • Autumn Chase

Warming buses are once again available from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the San Marcos Activity Center located at 501 E. Hopkins St.

Feb. 17

Due to continued power outages, the City of San Marcos has deployed warming buses at the San Marcos Activity Center, 501 E. Hopkins St. until 6 p.m.

Feb. 16

According to the City of San Marcos, information from area power providers suggest power outages will last on and off for the next couple of days. 
In a statement, ERCOT says it was able to restore enough power for 500,000 Texans, however, many still remain without power. Dan Woodfin, senior director of System Operations, says the number of controlled outages to restore power remains high but ERCOT remains optimistic that it can reduce that number throughout the day.

Water Updates

Feb. 19

The city says the water system is beginning to stabilize and water pressure is rising. There is still some low pressure.
Crews are concentrating their water restoration efforts in the Oakridge, Kingswood, Sleepy Hollow and Hunters Ridge areas.

Feb. 18

The City of San Marcos says it is experiencing low water pressure due to “supply-demand imbalances” that have occurred due to weather and power outages. Areas with no or low pressure include the west side of I-35 up to Ranch Road 12, the La Cima neighborhood and the entire south end of town.
The city says since it is not dealing with rolling power outages, it should be able to supply more water later today to help restore service, “although it will take two or more days to return to more normal service levels.”

Closure Updates

Feb. 19

San Marcos The Bus fixed routes and Paratransit will not operate due to the weather on Feb. 19. 
The San Marcos Bus Station will remain closed on Feb. 19. 
Interurban 1517 and Interurban 1510 will not run on Feb. 19.  
All services are expected to resume regular operating schedules on Feb. 22.  

Feb. 17

According to the H.E.B newsroom, “Central Texas store operating hours are noon-5 p.m. We are currently assessing the situation, including sustained power outages. By 10 a.m., we will report which Central Texas stores will remain closed.”
Whataburger, 1004 N. IH-35, will be closed for the day.
The San Marcos Premium Outlets and the Tanger Outlets will remain closed.
Sam’s Club, 1350 Leah Dr., will be closed for the day.

Feb. 16

Austin and central Texas H.E.B stores, which includes San Marcos H.E.B. locations, will remain closed on Feb. 16.
San Marcos CISD campuses and offices will continue to be closed on Feb. 17 due to power outages and weather conditions. No in-person or remotes classes will take place.

Feb. 15

Commons Dining Hall will be closing at 5 p.m. due to power outages. 

Feb. 14

Texas State’s San Marcos and Round Rock campuses will be closed due to inclement weather conditions Feb. 14-16. Campuses are expected to reopen at 8 a.m. on Feb. 17. The operational status of campuses for Feb. 17 will be announced no later than 5 p.m. on Feb. 16.

All COVID-19 Curative testing sites will be closed on Feb. 14-15 due to the weather until Feb. 16. Testing sites closed include those on Texas State’s San Marcos campus. 

Tanger Outlets will also be closed on Feb. 14.
H.E.B. stores in the area will close at 7 p.m. on Feb. 14-15.
San Marcos CISD will operate 100% remotely on Feb. 15. 
Stellar Coffee Co. will be closed on Feb. 14. 
Aquabrew will be closed on Feb. 14. 
Ivar’s River Pub will be closed on Feb. 14-15. 
Wonder World Cave will be closed Feb. 14. 
Two P’s & Calli’s Boutique will be closed Feb. 14-15. 
City Bakery will be closed on Feb. 15
San Marcos The Bus and Paratransit will not run on Feb. 15 

Weather

Feb. 14

A winter storm warning has been issued for San Marcos this Valentine’s Day. Weather conditions are expected to be a combination of a patchy freezing drizzle and wintery mix throughout the day. 

Snow and sleet are anticipated this evening and a wintery chill advisory has been put in place between 9 p.m. on Feb. 14 until noon on Feb. 15. The high for Feb. 14 will be 28 degrees with a low of 9 degrees. 

The National Weather Service anticipates a patchy freezing drizzle before 1 p.m. followed by patchy snow and freezing drizzle between 1-4 p.m. Chance of precipitation is 30% and a chance of snow, freezing rain and sleet is expected before 7 p.m. with a chance of snow and sleet between 7-10 p.m. 

Wind chill values are anticipated to be as low as -6 after 10 p.m. Chance of precipitation is 100% with little or no ice accumulation expected. Snow and sleet is possible up to 1-3 inches. 

Feb. 15 

Winter conditions will follow into Monday morning where the National Weather Service anticipates a 50% chance of snow before 7 a.m. Wind chill values are expected to be as low as -10 with north northwest wind 10 to 20 mph and gusts as high as 25 mph. 

Skies will be cloudy and are anticipated to gradually become sunny. The high for Monday will be near 21 degrees with a low of 6 by the evening.  

Feb. 16

Weather conditions are expected to improve by the National Weather Service on Feb. 16. Skies will be mostly sunny and wind will calm to 5 mph in the afternoon. Freezing rain is expected in the late evening with a chance of precipitation around 60%. 

Feb. 17 

A chance of freezing rain between the early morning and afternoon is expected, followed by a chance of rain after 1 p.m.
The National Weather Service anticipates wind gusts to be as high as 20 mph with a 60% chance of precipitation. 

Feb. 18 

A chance of snow and sleet is predicted in the early morning. Skies are expected to become sunny with a high near 35 degrees. Thursday night is expected to be clear with a low around 20. 

Feb. 20 

The National Weather Service expects to end the week with sunny skies and a high near 50 degrees followed by a clear night with a low around 31 degrees.