Texas State announces opening date for emergency grant applications

The Bobcat statue on Texas State campus wears a mask, Tuesday, Sept. 29, 2020, near the Quad bus loop. The Swine Flu occurred in the spring of 2009, and according to Dr. Emilio Carranco, H1N1 consisted of mild symptoms while COVID-19 can cause more long-term effects.

Texas State is set to distribute $6.5 million in emergency grants between Feb. 15-28 to students financially impacted by COVID-19.
As explained in Texas State’s Feb. 2 town hall, the funds are the second installment of the CARES Act Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF).
Texas State will also set aside funds for emergency grants during the summer and fall 2021 semesters, respectively, according to an email from University President Denise Trauth. 

“Currently enrolled full- and part-time students are eligible to receive emergency funds to offset expenses related to any component of the cost of attendance, including tuition, fees, housing, food, books, supplies and travel expenses to and from our campuses,” Trauth says in the email. “The funds can also be used to cover emergency costs due to the coronavirus, including healthcare, mental healthcare and childcare.”
The announcement of the dates arrives after Texas State was provided $30 million in relief funds through Bobcat Cares near the conclusion of the spring 2020 semester, after the onset of the pandemic.
This is a developing story. The University Star will provide updates as they are made available.