Texas State hosts the Bobcat Classic to open the softball season

By Kate Connors
Hailey MacKay eyes the pitch as she begins to swing at the ball. Photo by Kate Connors

The Texas State softball team began its season by hosting the Bobcat Classic at home.
Texas State lost in the opening game Thursday 3-2 to the University of Texas at San Antonio. UTSA was able to score all three of their runs in the top of the third inning. While Texas State failed to capitalize on two of Road Runner’s errors.
Inclement weather barred any softball from being played on Friday the Feb. 8. Play was continued on Saturday when Texas State matched up against Colorado State.
Texas State got the ball rolling early against Colorado State, scoring four runs in the first inning. They would total seven runs on just six hits for the day, leading to a 7-3 victory.
Texas State followed up their win on Saturday with a blowout on Sunday against North Dakota State in a game that would only go five innings. The Bobcats won 1-9, bringing in nine runs on nine hits.
The weekend standout is Dalilah Barrera, junior pitcher, who only allowed two hits and one run in five innings pitched against North Dakota State and three hits and zero earned runs in the first five innings against Colorado state. Barrera starts off the season with a commanding 2-0 record.
Texas State is set to face North Dakota State in the last game of the tournament on Monday at 4 P.M.