Texas State tennis shines in Texas State Play Day Tournament

Lara Dietrich, Staff Photographe
File photo Ana Perez swings her tennis racquet Jan. 23.

Hosting the annual Texas State Play Day tournament Oct. 21, the Bobcats notched 19 victories during the daylong event.
The Texas State women’s tennis team had four players finish the event undefeated, freshmen Rishona Israel-Lewis and Sofia Murcia-Rodriguez along with juniors Julia Navajo-Melendez and Ana Perez each posted records of 3-0.
Taking the top spot on the individual leaderboard was UTSA’s Laura Cabrera. Cabrera was 3-0 and in five sets dropped only six sets. Israel-Lewis with seven loses and Navajo-Melendez with eight loses finished the event second and third respectively.
Adding to the Bobcat’s success at the event, freshmen Andrea Fuchs and Flavia Gutierrez-Balcazar and junior Alex Jones each walked away with 2-1 records.
Jones picked up her doubles win and split her singles matches while Fuchs and Gutierrez-Balcazar won both of their singles match, losing their doubles matches.
Teaming with Jones, Israel-Lewis picked up a 6-1 victory over Zoe Kaffen and Caroline Kutach, moving on to a 6-4, 6-0 first round over Mary Kaffen and second round victories 6-1, 6-1 over Sonia Madronal.
The team of Perez and Navajo-Melendez earned a 7-5 victory, the first of Navajo-Melendez’s three victories. The Segovia, Spain native earned two singles victories, a 6-0, 6-2 win against Pauline Garcia in the first round and a 6-1, 6-0 second round win over Zoe Kaffen.
Perez like her doubles partner posted two singles victories, a 6-2, 6-2 win over Caroline Kutach, followed by a crushing 6-0, 6-0 victory over Canstanza Arenguiz.
The fourth and final undefeated player on the Texas State Roster, Rodriguez teamed with junior Joy Chia Ming Ming for a doubles win over Shaddae Findley and Stacy Lackey before earning a 6-1, 6-2 win over Sara Brickner and prevailed over Tatiana Ruhl 6-2, 6-2.
Next up for the Bobcats is a trip to Miami, Fla. to take part in the FIU Invitational. The tournament takes place over three days Oct. 27-29.