Baseball drops season series against UTSA 

The Texas State baseball team fell to their I-35 rivals the University of Texas-San Antonio Roadrunners 5-3 at Bobcat Ballpark by a score of 5-3, Tuesday, April 3.
The Bobcats jumped out to an early one run lead in the first inning, after a UTSA error lead to a run by Jonathan Ortega, junior second-baseman.
It was in the fourth inning when UTSA answered back with an RBI single followed by a homerun. The Roadrunners took a 2-1 lead over the Bobcats.
After notching up two runs in the eighth inning, and one in the top of the ninth the Bobcats found themselves down four runs to the Roadrunners.
Refusing to go down quietly, the Bobcats scored two runs in the bottom of the ninth inning before a ground out by Ryan Newman, junior infielder, ended the night.
Leading the Bobcats with two of the teams six hits on the night was Ortega. The junior second-baseman scored two of the Bobcat’s three runs.
Brandon Lewis, junior pitcher, started on the mound for the Bobcats. In five innings, the junior allowed three hits and two runs, while striking out four batters on sixty-five pitches.
“It was disappointing for us,” said Ty Harrington, head baseball coach. “We played well last night (against Baylor) and started out todays game playing well. (Lewis) pitched good, and that’s what we need from him. He did a good job tonight. We played well enough that if we hit a couple more balls, I think we have a chance tonight, and that’s the frustrating part.”
Harrington and the Bobcats start a long stretch of conference play this weekend and want to be ready for it.
“I told them to go and learn from this game, then focus on conference play,” Harrington said. “We have a long road trip ahead of us this weekend, and we need to be ready.”
The Bobcats will be back in action this weekend in a three-game series against the University of Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks starting Apr. 6 at 6. p.m.