Hays County judge tests positive for COVID-19

Hays County Judge Ruben Becerra listens to a speech at a protest held for and in honor of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor, Friday, May 29, 2020, at the Hays County Historic Courthouse in San Marcos. After being notified he may have been exposed to the virus, Becerra got tested at a Curative COVID-19 testing site and received results he tested positive for COVID-19 Dec. 21. 

Hays County Judge Ruben Becerra and his family have tested positive for COVID-19, the County announced Dec. 21.
After being notified he may have been exposed to the virus, Becerra decided to get tested at a Curative COVID-19 testing site and later received his positive result.
“Even with all the precautions we take, sometimes exposure is still possible through those in our immediate family,” Becerra said in a press release. “I am doing well and will be following CDC guidelines and quarantining.”
The Dec. 22 Commissioners Court will now take place virtually, and Becerra will engage in all county operations via remote access, emails and other appropriate communications, the press release states.