Women’s basketball returns home to play ULM

Texas State junior forward Da’Nasia Hood shoots the basketball over defenders during the fourth quarter of the game against the University of Louisiana at Lafayette Saturday, Jan. 2, 2021, at Strahan Arena. The Bobcats lost 67-41.

Following the postponement of last weekend’s games against the University of Arkansas at Little Rock due to COVID-19 protocols, Texas State women’s basketball (4-5 overall, 1-3 Sun Belt) will return home on Jan 22-23 to host the University of Louisiana at Monroe Warhawks (2-8 overall, 0-4 Sun Belt) for a back-to-back set.
The Maroon and Gold will look to right the ship after losing three consecutive games, the last being a 70-54 blowout loss to Arkansas State on Jan. 9. ULM is the loser of six straight and will aim to capture its first conference victory of the season. The Bobcats and Warhawks both sit at the bottom of the West Division in the Sun Belt Conference, with Texas State in fifth and ULM in sixth.
The Bobcats’ standout junior forward Da’Nasia Hood looks to regain her momentum, coming off a sub-par 12-point game against Arkansas State, where she struggled from the floor (3-11 FGS, 1-7 3FGS). Hood continues to lead the team in points (16.6) and rebounds (8.6) — top-five in the conference in both categories.
Hood’s front court partner, sophomore forward Lauryn Thompson, is coming off a strong showing in her last game, scoring 15 points (4-9 FGS, 7-10 FTS) and bringing down seven rebounds. For the season, Thompson is averaging 10.6 points, third on the team, and 6.6 rebounds, second on the team.
Junior guard Kennedy Taylor continues to provide steady offense for the Bobcats, averaging 10.9 points, second on the team, while dishing 4.8 assists per game, which is fourth in the Sun Belt.
Texas State will likely continue to lean on its defense against ULM. So far, the Bobcats are only giving up 60.2 points per game, third-best in the conference. ULM has struggled mightily finding any consistent rhythm offensively, only averaging 52 points per contest, good for last in the Sun Belt. The Warhawks also rank last in field goal percentage at 34.9%.
ULM is in search of its first win since Dec. 12, a 68-55 victory over Northwestern State. The team last played on Jan. 15-16, losing both of their games at home to conference leader Arkansas State (9-1 overall, 4-0 Sun Belt), the team responsible for Texas State’s last two losses. The Warhawks are led by junior guard Kierra Brimzy, who averages 13.7 points per game.
Both games of the doubleheader will take place at Strahan Arena at 4 p.m on Jan 22-23, respectively, and can be streamed on ESPN+.