Sun Belt Conference honors Asberry as Player of the Week

Junior guard Caleb Asberry (2) dunks over Mississippi State’s freshman guard Deivon Smith (5), Monday, Nov. 12. 2020, at Humphrey Coliseum. Texas State lost 68-51.

After leading Texas State to a weekend sweep over the University of Arkansas at Little Rock, junior guard Caleb Asberry has been named the Sun Belt Conference Player of the Week.

Asberry averaged 20.5 points, 5.5 rebounds, 1.5 assists and one steal against Little Rock, as the Bobcats defeated the Trojans 63-59 on Jan. 15 and 67-56 on Jan. 16. On Jan. 16 Asberry hit a career-high five three-pointers en route to 23 points, his third 20-point game this season, and had a team-high seven rebounds. 

After the weekend, Texas State now sits alone atop the West Division with a 9-4 overall record and a 3-1 conference record. The team also has the best conference-win percentage (75%) in the Sun Belt.

Asberry has been critical to the Bobcats’ recent stretch of wins. He was moved into the starting lineup on Dec. 15, and the team has won six of its last seven games since then. As a starter, Asberry has averaged 18.2 points. Prior to Dec. 15, Asberry was only averaging 7.5 points.

For the season, Asberry is tied for the highest scoring average on the team at 13.3 per game while registering 3.2 rebounds, 1.8 assists and 1.2 steals per game. He is connecting on 54.5% of his shots from the field and 44.8% from three-point land, which is No. 9 and No. 8 in the Sun Belt, respectively.

Texas State will look to extend its win streak against the University of Louisiana at Monroe on Jan. 26-27.