Texas State lifts outdoor masking requirement, masks still required while indoors

A face mask is left on the ground on Texas State’s campus. 

As of May 17,  Texas State will no longer require face masks to be worn while outdoors on campus, but face masks must still be worn while indoors on both campuses.

This statement came from Dr. Emilio Carranco, Chief Medical Officer for the university, after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) updated its guidance on the use of masks to allow fully vaccinated people to remove their masks both indoors and outdoors. 

In addition to this alteration of its guidelines, the University recommends that unvaccinated persons continue to practice all prevention methods, including wearing face masks both indoors and outdoors when social distancing cannot be achieved.

Beginning May 24th, faculty, staff or students wanting to be vaccinated can call the Student Health Center at 512-245-2161 to schedule an appointment.  Vaccinations will be available Monday – Friday. 

Free COVID-19 testing will remain on the San Marcos campus throughout the summer, available Monday – Friday at Flowers Hall.