Johnson, Harrell, Asberry receive Sun Belt honors

Texas State sophomore guard Drew Tennial (10) and freshman guard Dylan Dawson (0) listen to Interim Head Coach Terrence Johnson during practice, Friday, Nov. 6, 2020, at Strahan Arena.

Texas State men’s basketball Head Coach Terrence Johnson was named the Sun Belt Coach of the Year along with junior guard Mason Harrell and junior guard Caleb Asberry receiving All-Sun Belt honors.

Harrell was named to the All-Sun Belt First Team while Asberry was named to the All-Sun Belt Second Team. This marks the first conference honors for both players.

Johnson took the helm before the 2020-2021 season after Head Coach Danny Kaspar resigned following accusations of racism. Johnson has since led the Bobcats to an 18-7 overall record (12-3 in the conference) and a Sun Belt Conference regular-season title, the team’s first conference championship since 1999.

The Bobcats also had the No. 1 defense in the Sun Belt as they only allowed opponents to score 61.7 points per game.

In the Sun Belt, Harrell ranked No. 2 in minutes (36.2), No. 4 in shooting percentage (46.6%), No. 9 in points (13.9) and No. 11 in assists (3.3).

Asberry finished the season ranked No. 13 in points (13.3), No. 11 in three-pointers (2) and No. 19 in total steals (30).