Bobcats take down Roadrunners in 53-point victory

Texas State senior guard, Taeler Deer, moves up the court against defenders during Texas State’s 91-38 win over rival university UTSA on Dec. 5 at the Strahan Coliseum..

Photo by Kirby Crumpler | Staff Photographer

The Texas State Bobcats continued their impressive start to the 2017-18 season notching up another victory after demolishing the University of Texas at San Antonio Roadrunners 91-38 Dec. 5.
The women’s basketball team is currently ranked second in the Sun Belt Conference. Despite their No. 2 rank, Texas State holds a conference best 6-2 record.
Led by sophomore guard Brooke Holle with 24 points, the Bobcats had five players who scored in double digits. Not far behind were junior Toshua Leavitt and freshman Chania Wright with 16 points each, followed by senior forwards Ti’Aira Pitts and Ericka May with 12 and 10 points respectively.
Beyond just scoring, Pitts added four blocks while May notched up five steals. Along with her 24 points, Holle contributed one block and two steals.
Senior guard Taeler Deer added five points to the mix, but was a far greater asset helping her teammates putting up eight assists.
Texas State got off to an early lead and at the end of the first quarter found themselves up by just three points.
It was in the second quarter when the Roadrunners began to lose control of the game. It began with a three pointer by sophomore guard Bailey Holle. From that point on Texas State never lost control of the game.
Shooting 41 percent from field goal range and 42 percent from behind the three-point line, Texas State closed the first half with a 19-point 42-23 lead.
The second half saw the Bobcats continue where they left off, dominating the Roadrunners in the third and fourth quarters taking a 53-point victory.
The Bobcats improved their first half percentages, shooting 70 percent from two-point range and 63 percent from three.
Texas State looks to continue its winning ways against the Sam Houston Bearkats Dec. 17 at 3 p.m. inside the Johnson Coliseum in Huntsville, Texas.