Student Government passes mandatory sensitivity training for senators, changes food swipe policies, reads new legislation

Student Government meeting in LBJ.

Photo by Sonia Garcia

Student Government passed legislation March 11 mandating sensitivity for all senators and also made changes to meal trade policies.
The food service committee signed a contract to make differences to meals on campus. The committee has decided to change meal plans to one more based around dining dollars and meal trade equivalencies. Students on campus will no longer be allowed to swipe for others.
The food service committee wants to “centralize Harris and Commons,” which are beginning to offer more vegetarian and vegan options, as well as the opportunity to use biodegradable to-go boxes, much like the University of Texas.
The Senate passed legislation requiring senators to attend sensitivity training like ALLY training and AtRisk training.
Three new legislative pieces were read during the meeting: one to allow freshman to shadow members of the Senate, another requiring the LBJ Student Center staff to bring more attention to emergency protocols, especially given the construction, a final one to add the names of those lost in the Iconic VIllage fire to the memorial outside of Flowers.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:38 p.m. Student Government meetings take place at 7 p.m. every Monday in the LBJ Teaching Theater.