Iconic Village fire ruled as intentional, officials say

Fire officials and an ATF special agent announce at a Nov. 30 press conference that the July 20 Iconic Village Fire was intentionally set. Photo by Carrington J. Tatum

The Iconic Village apartment fire was intentionally set, fire officials announced Nov. 30 during a city-held press conference.
San Marcos Fire Chief Les Stephens, Fire Marshal Kelly Kistsner and ATF special agent Fred Milanowski classified the Iconic Village Apartment fire as incendiary. The July 20 fire displaced over 200 residents and killed five residents, four of whom were Texas State students.
The San Marcos Fire Department is offering a $10,000 reward for information that may lead to the apprehension of a suspect.
According to Milanowski, the investigation is still ongoing, and he did not give details about how the fire was started or if there are any current leads.
Kistner said the Fire Department will continue to follow up on its leads and any new tips that come in regarding the investigation. Kistner also said the Fire Department will begin to improve its yearly inspections following the Iconic Village Apartment fire.

• IMG_8277