Faculty Senate discusses study abroad programs and faculty salaries

Faculty Senate discusses faculty raises and the search for a new chief of police Oct. 3 during their weekly meeting.

Photo By Tristin Martinez

Editor’s note: this brief was corrected on Oct. 15.
Faculty Senate weighed the possibility faculty raises and were updated on the police chief search during the Oct. 3 meeting and plan for a future conference.
Chair Alex White said raises for faculty are still in the air after his last meeting with Provost Eugene Bourgeois. Faculty raises stem from increased state funding, enrollment or tuition, according to White. The faculty senate will discuss this issue at their next meeting with the President’s Academic Advisory Group.
Sen. Rebecca Bell-Metereau said at a Monday department meeting that it is demoralizing for faculty to see administrators receiving pay increases when faculty members do not receive one.
White also said the university has hired a search firm to help with the hire of a new chief of police. The goal is to have a new chief on campus by the start of the spring semester.
Faculty Senate meets every Wednesday from 4-6 p.m. in the Henrietta Avent Faculty Senate Meeting Room in the J.C. Kellam Administration Building