Women’s tennis hands Texas State 4-0 loss in Austin

File photo of Ana Perez

Texas State women’s tennis team fell to the Longhorns Saturday, Jan. 20, after overnight fog caused the courts in Austin to be wet and force a relocation off campus at the Weller Tennis Center located at the UT Golf Club.
Junior Ana Perez and junior Julia Navajo-Melendez started the day dropping a double match at the hands of Petra Granic and Marta Perez-Mur in the No. 1 doubles match with a 6-0 decision.
Texas went on to gain another point when junior Joy Chia Ming Ming and freshman Sofia Murcia-Rodriguez lost, 6-2, against Bianca Turati and Fernanda Labrana on the third court.
Texas State senior Alex Jones dropped a 6-2 and 6-0 set against Dani Wagland on the No. 4 court. Navajo-Melendez followed with a 6-3 and 6-1 loss against No. 32-ranked Petra Granic in the No. 2 match. Chia fell 6-2 and 6-3 against Marta Perez-Mur, eventually clinching the match for the Longhorns.
The Longhorns went on to clinch the victory for the day, halting three current matches going on that had freshman Rishona Israel-Lewis leading Labrana in the second set, 3-0 after she had won the first set 6-4. In the other two halted matches, Perez trailed No. 87-ranked Anna Turati in the top-seeded match, 6-2 and 4-1, respectively; and Murcia-Rodriguez was behind 6-1 and 5-1 on the No. 6 court.
Still winless in the spring, the bobcats travel to College Station Jan. 26 to battle Texas A&M, where they look to put this match behind them.