Police search for stabbing suspects after early morning altercation

UPDATE: Nov. 2, 12 p.m.
Sergio Marquez Chavarria, 28, turned himself into the Hays County Law Enforcement Center after detectives identified him in a surveillance video.
Police are still searching for the other two suspects.

San Marcos police are searching for three suspects involved in an early-Friday stabbing on the 100 Block of W. San Antonio Street, where an altercation broke out after bars and restaurants in the area closed for the night.
According to witnesses, the three suspects waited for the victim and his friends to leave Nephew’s bar off San Antonio Street and began an initial altercation that resulted in no injuries. The victim and his friends disengaged and walked to their vehicle.
As the victim unlocked their car, a gray, 2014 or newer, 4-door Hyundai car with a moonroof and spoiler drove up. According to city officials, a suspect then exited the Hyundai, stabbed the victim and got back in the Hyundai car, driving westbound on San Antonio Street.
The victim suffered a laceration to his right forearm and a puncture stab wound to his lower right abdomen. Friends took the victim to Central Texas Medical Center, where he was redirected to Seton South Austin for emergency surgery.

• Suspect #1 (who stabbed the victim) – Hispanic male, approx. 5’3” – 5’5” tall with average build and a small belly, light stubble facial hair, dark brown medium length hair, age in the 20’s, wearing a cream-colored t-shirt, and a cream-colored baseball cap.
  • Suspect #2 – Hispanic male, approx. 5’2”-5’4” tall, stocky build, “buzz cut” hair, goatee facial hair, age in the 20’s, wearing a maroon t-shirt with a graphic design on front, gray pants or jean shorts, and black shoes.
  • Suspect #3 – White male, approx. 5’8”-5’9” tall, fit/athletic build, mustache, age in the 20’s, red or light brown receding hair, wearing a red t-shirt with white letters, and red fitted cap.

People with relevant information can call Detective Brady Templeton at 512.753.2317.
The University Star will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.