City Council awards $500k to social services

A file photo of San Marcos City Hall.

The San Marcos City Council voted Dec. 2 to award $500,000 to various social service organizations and adopt a revised Community Development Block Grant action plan at its regular meeting.
The $500,000 award will be distributed in varying amounts among 22 different social service agencies. The agencies receiving the largest allocations include the Greater San Marcos Youth Council ($57,000), Hays County Food Bank ($50,000), Hays-Caldwell Women’s Center ($63,000) and Southside Community Center ($78,000).
The council also voted to adopt a revised CDBG Action Plan, which provides for the allocation of $722,794 of CDBG entitlement funds toward several projects, including advocacy services for abused and neglected children through Court Appointed Special Advocates and home rehabilitation through Southside Community Center.
The council approved, on the first of two readings, an amendment to the chapter of the San Marcos City Code to enhance flood damage prevention and mitigation standards. Councilmember Shane Scott abstained from the vote.
The council approved a contract with Goodwill Temporary Services, Inc. for janitorial services in the amount of $634,925.55. The resolution was originally brought before the council at a Nov. 17 meeting, but it was postponed after councilmembers requested Goodwill’s employees receive hazard pay. The council voted unanimously in favor of the resolution after city staff confirmed Goodwill’s employees received bonus hazard pay since May.
The council appointed Code Compliance Manager Shanna O’Brien as a voting member of the Hays County Local Homeless Coalition.
Council members also voted in favor of a $40,000 increase in the interim finance director’s contract, bringing the total contract amount to $165,000 to allow the interim finance director to continue working until a full-time director is hired.
The council held a public hearing and approved a resolution amending the project plan and reinvestment zone financing plan for Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone No. 4 – Kissing Tree.
The resolution concluded in increasing reimbursement to the developer by $10 million and adding eligible project costs for water testing over a 5-year period in an amount not to exceed $265,000. Councilmembers Shane Scott and Maxfield Baker voted against the resolution.
San Marcos City Council meets on the first and third Tuesday of each month over Zoom, meeting recordings and agendas can be viewed on its website. Residents who wish to speak during the citizen comment or public hearing periods should email [email protected] no later than noon on the day of the meeting.