Hays County to receive additional doses of Pfizer vaccine

Hays County Seal

Hays County Judge Ruben Becerra confirmed in a conversation with The University Star the county anticipates receiving 1,950 more doses of the Pfizer variant COVID-19 vaccine for distribution.
Residents considered as part of the 1A and 1B groups can sign up using the same website as of last week’s round of registration when the portal reopens at noon on Jan. 29. 
Individuals can also call 512-938-1650 to register for a vaccination, however Becerra encourages only those without internet access to do so. 
During the last round of sign-ups, all available slots were filled in less than half an hour. Becerra anticipates a similar outcome this round, with all slots to be gone in “15 to 20 minutes”, which is why he is giving an advanced notice.
“These vaccines are in such high demand and the quantities that we were receiving are so low that if you didn’t get in in the first 15-20 minutes, you’re probably done,” Becerra says. “That’s a sad, sad reality we’re dealing with. We’re literally failing at public health.”
The location of the vaccination site is currently a work in progress. Becerra says the vaccinations will take place on Feb. 1 and 2, the Monday and Tuesday after the Friday registration date.
To sign up for county COVID-19 alerts, text ‘COVID’ to 844-928-3213. 
The University Star will continue to provide updates as any information becomes available.