Hays County establishes historical council for Indigenous and Tejano community

Hays County Historic Court House.

In an effort to preserve the rich history and culture of the local Indigenous and Tejano community, Hays County Judge Ruben Becerra has formally established the Council for the Indigenous and Tejano Community (CITC). 
The historical council will work closely with the Indigenous Cultures Institute to fulfill its mission of telling untold and undertold Indigenous and Tejano stories. CITC will also work on oral histories, written stories, booklets with family stories, cultural education and art projects.  
“I am creating this council because much help is needed in telling these stories,” Becerra said in a press release. 
Gina Alba-Rogers has been appointed as the committee’s chair; Irma Gaitan has been appointed as the committee’s vice chair. Both Alba-Rogers and Gaitan have previously served on the Hays County Historical Commission. 
Judge Becerra; Maria Rocha, director of the Indigenous Cultures Institute; Frank Arredondo, a former San Marcos mayor and a fifth generation Hays County resident; Bobbie Garza-Hernandez, former executive director of Centro Cultural Hispano de San Marcos; and Anita Azenet Collins, a first generation Tejana and award-winning screen writer and filmmaker are the founding members of CITC. 
Community members interested in participating with CITC are encouraged to call the county judge’s office at 512-393-2205 or email [email protected] as well as the committee chair at [email protected]