UPDATE: Police identify victims in first deadly traffic fatality of 2021

Update: Feb. 11, 10:32 a.m. 
In a statement to The University Star, Texas State confirmed the two victims who died in a traffic fatality on Feb. 7, Stephanie Salas and Andrew Martindale, were students at the university. 
Salas was a currently enrolled student and Martindale was previously enrolled. 
The university offers condolences to their family and friends and all involved in the accident,” Texas State says in the statement.  
Update: Feb. 11, 9:17 a.m.
The two victims killed in the Feb. 7 traffic collision on I-35 have been identified as 20-year-old Andrew Martindale of Texarkana, Texas and 20-year-old Stephanie Salas of Del Rio, Texas, by the San Marcos Police Department. 
Authorities say forensic experts with Central Texas Autopsy used medical and dental records to identify Martindale, the driver of the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and Salas, the passenger. 
Investigators say the Jeep was traveling in excess of 100 miles per hour when the vehicle lost control and struck the back of a parked semi-truck with a trailer attached off the main lanes of I-35. 
Toxicology results for both Martindale and Salas remain pending. 
Original Story 
City of San Marcos emergency personnel responded to a two vehicle traffic collision that resulted in the city’s first two traffic fatalities of the year on southbound IH-35 on Feb. 7. 
Authorities say a 2014 Jeep crashed into the back of a parked semi-truck off the main lanes near the Department of Public Safety weigh station. San Marcos Fire personnel extinguished the Jeep which was caught on fire, according to authorities. 
Both individuals inside the Jeep were killed. Identification remains pending per the order of Hays County Justice of the Peace Maggie H. Moreno.
During the onsite portion of the investigation, I-35 was shut down for five hours. 
Authorities say they will continue to investigate the cause of the crash, including whether speed or alcohol consumption were involved. There are no expected charges to be filed in this incident.