San Marcos mayor signs disaster declaration ahead of inclement weather

Snow San Marcos

San Marcos Mayor Jane Hughson signed a Declaration of Local State of Disaster on Feb. 13 ahead of inclement weather and icy road conditions. 
The declaration is anticipated to last seven days unless continued by the City Council or terminated if weather conditions improve.  
With temperatures forecast to be below freezing for several consecutive days, the city is urging the public to stay off the roads or use extreme caution if driving is unavoidable. Roads have still continued to freeze despite efforts by both the city and TxDOT crews to pre-treat and de-ice the roads. 
According to the City of San Marcos, the San Marcos Police Department responded to multiple ice-related crashes along IH-35 overnight and has continued to received similar calls. SMPD is working with area wrecker services to tow any vehicles parked along city roadways to eliminate unnecessary  hazards.
The city is working with The Salvation Army, Southside Community Center and H.O.M.E. Center of Central Texas to assist community members in need, including passing out hotel vouchers and ensuring those in need are aware of available resources. 
Hays County Emergency Management has coordinated the following temporary shelter locations. Individuals are asked to call ahead of their arrival to ensure accommodations are made due to COVID-19 limitations. Everyone must provide their own sleeping gear. Additional resources can be found on Hays County’s website.
Southside Community Center
518 S. Guadalupe St.
San Marcos, TX
512-557-0795
The Salvation Army
300 S. CM Allen Parkway, Ste. 100
San Marcos, TX
512-557-3661
Hays Hills Baptist Church
1401 N. Farm to Market Rd. 1626
Buda, TX
512-295-3132
Dripping Springs United Methodist Church
28900 RR 12
Dripping Springs, TX
512-894-7123
Westover Baptist Church
1310 Advance St.
San Marcos, TX
512-214-2258
First Baptist Church of Wimberley
15951 Winters Mill Parkway
Wimberley, TX
432-634-2364
In addition, the city is asking residents to bring pets inside or provide animals with a warm, protected outdoor shelter. 
The city it expects there to be a high demand for electricity as temperatures lower which may result in system overloads, specifically on Monday and Tuesday. San Marcos Electric Utility urges residents to avoid using large appliances such as washers, dryers, dishwashers, ovens and hot water heaters.