Student Government challenges chief justice, passes emergency shelter resolution

Star file photo. 

Texas State Student Government Senate passed several resolutions aiming to expand its influence and power over other branches of government in its March 8 meeting.
The Senate passed a resolution to censure, “a form of punishment for disorderly behavior or violations of the decorum, respect or dignity of the Senate”, and remove Sen. Cody DeSalvo 25-9, his second censure, of 2021. 
A resolution, once again upholding the initial overturning of the impeachment of Former Student Body President Connor Clegg by the Student Government Supreme Court, passed 25-5-3. This is the second time a variant of this legislation passed in 2021.
A resolution titled “Protection of Democracy Act” passed 26-7. This resolution amends Code of Laws Title IX, stating the Senate can override any veto from the Graduate House of Representatives with a two-thirds majority vote. 
The resolution comes after a notable increase in the interaction between the two chambers of the legislative branch, stemming from attempts by the Senate to weed out alleged collusion and corruption between the Court and Senate members.
Sen. Matthew Smith’s resolution calling for Student Government to not recognize the authority and rulings of Chief Justice William Frank Cadoree after January 2021 passed 26-2, with four abstentions. Smith alleges Cadoree’s two-year term limit started in January 2019, meaning his term is currently past its constitutional limit.
Assistant Dean of Students and Code Adviser Kathryn Weiser says Cadoree’s appointment to the role of chief justice under the new constitution occurred under former Student Body President Cory Benbow in October 2019, not Student Government President Ruben Becerra Jr. as Smith claims.
Smith argues regardless of title or role, Cadoree’s participation in the judiciary exceeds the two-year limit imposed on the constitution. 
Sen. Patrick Moloney’s resolution calling for the university to utilize the Student Recreation Center as an emergency shelter when needed and to cogenerate power in light of Winter Storm Uri passed unanimously 32-0.
The Senate concluded the meeting with myriad confirmations and the swearing-in of new members to various positions across the government.
The confirmations are listed with their respective position and voting tally (Yes, No, Abstention):

• Mitchell Twocrow to associate justice of the Supreme Court: 28 – 3 – 2
  • Garrett Shaw to associate justice of the Supreme Court: 27 – 1 – 5
  • Blaise Muriel to the position of associate justice of the Supreme Court: 26 – 5 – 1
  • Jonnalys Soto for a term as director of programming for the rest of Student Body President Catching Valentinis-Dee’s term: 32 – 0 – 1
  • Anthony Bucek for a term as director of marketing and outreach for the remainder of Valentinis-Dee’s term: 32 – 0 – 1
  • Leslie Eaves for a term as director of government affairs for the remainder of Valentinis-Dee’s term: 34 – 0 – 0
  • Eric Newswanger for a term as director of finance for the remainder of Valentinis-Dee’s term: 32 – 0 – 0

All Student Government meetings and resolutions can be accessed by visiting the Student Government website.