Texas State Student Government 2021 election results

2021-2022 Student Government President Andrew Gryce poses for a photo with members of Student Government’s election board inside the LBJ Student Center on Friday, March 5, 2021, at Texas State University. 

Texas State’s Student Government released its results for the spring 2021 election on March 3. A total of 339 out of nearly 38,000 Texas State students voted in the election.
The following candidates were elected: 
President: Andrew Gryce (220 votes)
Vice President: Quintin Lorenz (233 votes)
Senator At Large: Jenny Rodriguez (153 votes)
Senator At Large: Cody DeSalvo (114 votes)
Senator At Large: Jackson Barr (107 votes)
Senator At Large: Joey Vasquez (104 votes)
Senator At Large: Jorge Castillo (102 votes)
Senator At Large: Matthew Applewhite (66 votes)
Student Government Election Board Chair Nicholas Scholtz believes the election was a success despite the hardships the board encountered due to the recent winter storm.
“It was a good election but there were definitely issues that came with the weather circumstances because the storm happened right in the middle of our voting period, so, of course, it interrupted it,” Scholtz says. “That was the biggest issue that we ran into, but we were able to overcome that and push through.”
Andrew Gryce, the newly elected Student Government president, says he is happy to have been elected and agrees the storm posed a difficult challenge to overcome in the midst of an election.
“This was definitely an interesting situation and time to be running an election and campaign,” Gryce says. “There was definitely some trying times and times of uncertainty, but I’m glad that it’s finally come to an end and that it’s all resolved.”
Current Student Government President Catching Valentinis-Dee feels that, along with the storm, having to adapt to a digital format was an important aspect that impacted the election. 
“Across the state digital elections have seen a lot less involvement from students. You’re reaching out to students in completely different ways and that has its own challenges,” Valentinis-Dee says. “It’s a challenging time and the university is just trying to take steps to get things back to normal, meeting our peers and our community where it is always hard work whether it’s digital or in person,”