Student Government plans to “Swipe Out” student hunger with new program

Star+FilePhoto

Star File

Photo

Student Government proposed a resolution during their meeting Monday, that would bring awareness to student hunger.
Student Government, partnered with Chartwell Dining Services, is drafting legislation that would convert meal swipes into credit. The initiative will allow students to make a $0.50 donation per swipe at a cap of $5,000 per student.
Under the legislation, students would be able to give swipes at Commons and Harris Dining Halls, Paws N Go and Paws Market through Dec. 4 and Dec. 14.
Student Government will vote on the resolution during next week’s meeting.
The “Fair-Trade Campus-Wide Initiative” passed this week by a majority vote. The initiative encourages Texas State to achieve official designation as a fair-trade university by continuing to implement various measures on campus to engage students in the awareness of environmental and social responsibilities.
Sen. Claudia Gasponi spoke at the meeting representing Mano Amiga, an activist group that provides educational resources for immigrants in San Marcos. Gasponi notified the body about an event this weekend featuring the Student Community of Progressive Empowerment, or SCOPE. The two groups are hosting an immigration attorney this Sunday from 3-7 p.m. at St. John’s Catholic Church.
Senators were also encouraged to take the annual Campus Climate Survey, which is designed to highlight what needs to be improved across campus from physical advancements to administration and policies.
Joanne Smith, Vice President of Student Affairs, sent an email to the Texas State student body about the survey.
“We are dedicated to providing each of you an opportunity to fully benefit from your experience at the university. It is critical that your voice be heard,” Smith said. “Your responses to the Campus Climate Survey will provide us with necessary information to formulate and implement plans to ensure a safe, diverse and inclusive campus climate and community for all Bobcats.”
Additionally, Monday night’s guest speakers featured Shannon McCall Fitzpatrick and Kama Davis from the Attorney for Students office. The two campus attorneys explained their office’s function and how they serve students by looking over housing contracts or navigating the legal system after a criminal offense.