City Council postpones Cape’s Dam designation decision

San Marcos City Council votes August 7, 2018 to create an innovation district during City Council meeting.

Photo by

Christopher Green | News Reporter

City Council postponed the decision to designate Cape’s Dam as a historic landmark Jan. 29, citing insufficient information to make a clear-cut vote.
The Texas Historical Commission recommended 17 acres of land along the San Marcos River and at Cape’s Dam be designated as a historic landmark, stating the dam is eligible for national historic registration.
The council delayed the decision in order to give staff at most six months to gather information about environmental conditions related to the river and the surrounding landscape.
The Planning and Zoning Commission previously denied the motion to designate the dam as a historic landmark, but City Council will make the final decision.
The decision to remove the dam has also come into consideration in recent years and the potential designation as a historic landmark is the most recent to come to the Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council.