Texas State earns quarterfinal victory

Graphic by Brooke Phillips | Sports Editor

The second-seeded Texas State women’s basketball team earned a 78-69 victory over the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers in the quarterfinal round of the Sun Belt Conference Championship Thursday, March 8 at the Lakefront Arena in New Orleans, Louisiana.
This is the 22nd win of the season for the Bobcats, the most in the Division I era of the Texas State women’s basketball program.
Coastal Carolina jumped out to an early lead, sinking its first three-pointer of the night. The first period saw the Chanticleers hold the lead for most of time before the Bobcats closed out the quarter up 14-13.
The score remained close in the second period, opening with four quick lead changes before the Bobcats settled in. Despite leading throughout the body of the quarter, Texas State was unable to break away from Coastal Carolina. The Chanticleers once again regained the lead, heading into the half up 40-38.
Coastal Carolina held on to its lead during the first four minutes of the third period, before the Bobcats’ Toshua Leavitt, junior guard, knocked down a three for the lead. Texas State closed out the third with a 56-53 lead.
The fourth quarter of play saw the Bobcats take control as theyrefused to give up their lead, holding on for the nine-point win.
Recently named Sun Belt Conference Player of the Year, Taeler Deer, senior point guard, led the Bobcats on the court with 22 points. The senior guard rounded out her evening with nine assists, six rebounds and two steals.
Leavitt followed closely behind with 18-points. The junior sharpshooter added a rebound, an assist and two steals as well.
Scoring 17 points for the Bobcats was Ti’Aria Pitts, senior forward. Pitts notched up four rebounds, three assists, a block and two steals.
Rounding out the four double digit scorers was Brooke Holle, sophomore guard, with 11 points. Of the four leading scorers, Holle played the most minutes, playing 40 minutes. Holle had five rebounds, a block and two steals.
The Bobcats are set to face the Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns in the semifinal round Saturday, March 10, at 5 p.m at the Lakefront Arena.