An accidental journalist

(From left to right) Rebecca Harrell, Jaden Edison, Megan Nuzum and Colton McWilliams stand outside of Bobcat Stadium after covering an event organized by Texas State Athletics in support of the Black Lives Matter movement, Wednesday, June 10, 2020, on Texas State’s campus. Harrell served as The University Star’s multimedia editor during summer and fall 2020 and brought endless creativity and guidance to the section. She was key to its evolution over the last year and never failed to pitch and execute a bright idea. 

Editor’s Note: “-30-” has traditionally been used throughout journalism to indicate the end of a story. Each semester, The University Star encourages its graduating seniors to write a Senior 30—a farewell piece to our readers—indicating the conclusion of a journalist’s time as an active member of our organization.
I remember sitting in my dorm room freshman year with an application to work for The University Star fully complete and never submitting it. Although I had made no friends my first year of college, I was too scared to put myself out there and meet new people even though it was what I desperately wanted. 
Finally, come sophomore year, I applied to be a part of the multimedia section. I had minimal experience with a camera, but I knew I wanted to learn more and that this could possibly be what I wanted to do in the future. 
I call myself an accidental journalist. I came to Texas State wanting to be a dental hygienist since I was in middle school, a stable job with stable income. Before I even started my first semester, I knew I needed something to fulfill my creativity. I always loved writing and dreamed of working in the fashion industry, so I thought journalism was the way to go. 
Joining The Star when I did reassured me this is where I was meant to be. I was taking advanced classes in multimedia while also learning how to be a visual journalist at a real newspaper. This launched me into the industry and allowed me to exponentially grow in every aspect I needed to.
Fast-forward a year later, and I was blessed with the opportunity to be the multimedia editor my last semester of college. Thinking back to my fearful, anxious freshman self, I never would have imagined I would be where I am. Although I wish I had joined student media earlier in my college career, I know I made it at the right time. I have learned so much that has prepared me for life in the ‘real world,’ and I have made friends that I could not be more grateful to know. 
The University Star truly gave me a place to belong on a campus with nearly 40,000 students, and I could not be more thankful to everyone that I’ve met— the people who contributed to making me the person I am now.