Bobcat football woes continue in 14-52 loss to BYU

Courtesy of Texas State Athletics
Texas State junior linebacker Sione Tupou attempts to tackle BYU sophomore tight end Masen Wake, Saturday, Oct. 24, 2020, at LaVell Edwards Stadium in Provo, Utah. The Bobcats lost the matchup 14-52. 

Texas State football was unable to contain an explosive BYU offense Oct. 24, losing 14-52 and dropping its fourth consecutive game ahead of a tough conference schedule.
The team dropped to a 1-6 overall record, 1-2 in the conference. On the opposing side, the Cougars continued their undefeated season, advancing to 6-0.
After receiving the opening kick-off, Texas State secured three straight first downs to advance into BYU’s territory. A few plays later, sophomore quarterback Brady McBride connected with junior wide receiver Marcell Barbee for a 19-yard touchdown. The extra point was good and Texas State took its only lead of the game at 7-0.
BYU responded quickly by putting together a drive ending with a 4-yard touchdown run by junior running back Lopini Katoa and an extra point to tie the game at 7-7.
The Bobcats were unsuccessful on their next drive, only managing six plays before punting the ball to the Cougars.
BYU came back aggressive and scored again after junior quarterback Zach Wilson found freshman wide receiver Keanu Hill for a 33-yard touchdown. The Cougars led 14-7 after completing the extra point.
The Cougars started the second quarter with the ball on Texas State’s 40-yard line. BYU was able to put together a successful drive, capped off with an 11-yard touchdown run by sophomore running back Tyler Allgeier. With a successful extra point attempt by sophomore kicker/punter Jake Oldroyd, the Cougars led 21-7.
Texas State was shut down in four plays by the BYU defense on the next possession.
BYU continued to pick the Bobcat defense apart, scoring again on just its second possession of the quarter. Wilson connected with freshman tight end Isaac Rex for a 3-yard touchdown pass with 7:47 to go in the half. The Cougars lead the Bobcats 28-7.
Almost four minutes later, BYU fumbled the ball off a snap in its own territory, and Bobcat senior linebacker Hal Vinson recovered the ball within the BYU 10-yard line. Texas State tried to capitalize on the turnover but eventually turned the ball over on downs inside the BYU 5-yard line.
To end the first half, the Cougars scored a touchdown on a 45-yard pass from Wilson to junior wide receiver Dax Milne, making the score 35-7 with 0:27 left in the half.
Coming out of halftime, the Cougars scored once again on their first drive. Wilson and Rex connected on a 30-yard touchdown pass to take the lead 42-7.
The Bobcat offense continued to struggle in the third as a McBride pass was intercepted by senior linebacker Isaiah Kaufusi for a 32-yard touchdown. The touchdown marked the highest score differential of the game, as BYU led by 42 points at 49-7.
Senior linebacker Brayden Stringer then intercepted a pass from BYU sophomore quarterback Baylor Romney for 5 yards to the Texas State 46-yard line, only for Texas State to punt the ball four plays later.
Seven minutes into the fourth quarter, McBride connected with Barbee on a 20-yard touchdown pass, making the score 14-49. This marked the Bobcats’ last score of the game.
The final points of the game were tacked on by Oldroyd on a field goal, increasing BYU’s lead to 52-14.
McBride was 17/30 for 150 yards, along with two touchdowns and two interceptions. Sophomore running back Brock Sturges led the team in rushing with eight carries and 58 yards. Freshman running back Calvin Hill led Texas State in receptions with five, while Barbee led in receiving yards with 48.
For the Cougars, Wilson finished 19/25 attempts for 287 yards and four touchdowns. Allgeier stepped up and led the team in rushing with 12 carries for 76 yards and a touchdown.
Head Coach Jake Spavital recognized BYU for being a skilled team and once again stated his belief in the team despite careless mistakes.
“They were such a good team that we were playing, and we had difficulty just doing some simple execution in terms of just moving them,” Spavital said. “Eventually things will start going our way if we learn from our mistakes and keep pressing forward.”
Next up, the Bobcats will look to turn the tide as they return to San Marcos for their Homecoming conference matchup against the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. The game is scheduled for 7 p.m. on Oct. 31.