ABC host John Quiñones to speak at LBJ Distinguished Lecture event

Emmy-winning ABC News veteran and host of “What Would You Do?” John Quiñones has been announced as Common Experience’s featured speaker for the virtual LBJ Distinguished Lecture Series event. The event will take place Nov. 9 at 6 p.m. via Youtube Live.

Emmy-winning ABC News veteran and host of “What Would You Do?” John Quiñones has been announced as Common Experience’s featured speaker for the virtual LBJ Distinguished Lecture Series event. 
The free-to-the-public event, which will take place Nov. 9 at 6 p.m. via YouTube Live, will include a discussion about Quiñones’ participation in Upward Bound, as well as a conversation about his own dynamic life story. Texas State alumna and staff writer for The Texas Observer DaLyah Jones will moderate the event.
Quiñones worked at ABC News for more than 30 years and was the anchor desk at “20/20” and “Primetime”. He is currently in the 14th season of his show “What Would You Do?”, a hidden camera ethical dilemma series.
The focus of this year’s event is tied to the 2020-2021 Common Experience theme of Dynamics and will also aim to highlight alumnus and President Lyndon Baines Johnson’s legacy in education, especially in TRIO/Upward Bound.

Director of Common Experience Twister Marquiss says Quiñones’ life story embodies the characteristics of the Common Experience theme of Dynamics since it is a transcendental idea of becoming.

He says he hopes the event allows students and the rest of the Texas State community to take away a message that everyone can find a path of opportunity. 

“You have to know where to look and you have to be willing to take the steps, but there is a path of opportunity for everyone,” Marquiss said. “We want everyone to see that, we want people to leave the event inspired. Mr. Quiñones is a calm voice of reason who asks for critical thinking and so we want our audience to leave thinking critically about the world around them.”
The lecture series was initiated at Texas State in 1982 and continues to honor the legacy of President Johnson as well as recognize the importance of education.
For more information about the 2020-2021 LBJ Distinguish Lecture Series and to register for free tickets visit the Common Experience website.