Texas State extends closure of campuses

Snow sits on Texas State’s campus, Monday, Feb. 15, 2021, in San Marcos.

Update: Feb. 19, 4:11 p.m.

Texas State will extend the closure of its campuses for the second time since severe weather and power outages took over the San Marcos community, according to an email from University President Denise Trauth.
Along with the extended campus closure, which includes the cancellation of all in-person and virtual classes, Trauth says that power and water have been restored to “the majority of campus.”
She says the provost, Dr. Gene Bourgeois, will send an email to faculty and staff later today regarding how current disruptions to the schedule should be handled moving forward.
“We will open university offices on Monday, Feb. 22, at 8 a.m. for regular business hours but will be flexible for staff members who are facing hardships or need to be off to take care of personal issues,” Trauth states in the email. 
Trauth says the following buildings will open at noon on Feb. 20-21 and close at regularly scheduled times: Alkek Library, Student Recreation Center and LBJ Student Center. 
The Student Health Center will open from 12-4 p.m. on Feb. 20 for limited services, including a walk-in clinic. Limited Bobcat Shuttle service will begin on Feb. 20 and include “the regular route that transports students to some retail areas in San Marcos,” Trauth adds.

Update: Feb. 16, 3:00 p.m.

Texas State extended the closure of its campuses through 8 a.m., Saturday, Feb. 20 due to power outages and inclement weather. All classes, both in-person and remote, and university events will be canceled. 
University offices will remain closed and only designated critical personnel will report to the campuses. 
The university will continue to monitor conditions and provide an updated operational status of Texas State campuses no later than Feb. 19 at 5 p.m.

Original Story

As a result of inclement weather, Texas State’s campuses will be closed Feb. 14-16.
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs Gene Bourgeois tells The University Star that all classes are canceled, whether asynchronous, online, in person, etc. Faculty members will be responsible for figuring out how to make up the missed class days. 
“If I was teaching, and I did have some lectures recorded or whatever, students can access them still again,” Bourgeois says. “In other words, we’re not preventing students from continuing to do work or assignments; it’s just that there are no direct instructional activities or classes. Because we are closed.”
“That’s up to [faculty] to figure out how they’re going to [make up for missed class time], and I’m just giving them the latitude of till the end of the semester to do that,” Bourgeois adds.
Texas State says only designated essential personnel — dining hall employees, University Police Department officers, etc. — will report to work on campus during the closure. The Bobcat Shuttle will also not run Feb. 15-16. 
The university says operational status of Texas State’s campuses beyond Feb. 17 will be communicated no later than 5 p.m. on Feb. 16.
To stay updated on all weather and emergency notifications, visit TXST Weather Emergencies or Safety and Emergency Communications