Texas State women’s cross country team earns Sun Belt Conference championship title

Photo courtesy of Kelley Spencer

Photo courtesy of Kelley Spencer

The Texas State women’s cross country team earned the first place title at the Sun Belt Conference Championships Oct. 28 in Boone, North Carolina.
The men’s team also placed in the championships receiving third.
Five runners on the women’s team placed in the top 30, while two placed in 45th and 63rd place.
Junior Devina Schneider placed fourth and freshman McKynzie finished in fifth for the Bobcats. Redshirt sophomore Kendra Long placed eighth and senior Nikki Sanchez earned a 10th place spot. Redshirt sophomore Madilyn King placed 26th.
The Bobcats had a total time of 1:30:32. Appalachian State came in a close second with a total time of 1:31:12, and South Alabama placed third with a total time of 1:31:28.
Throughout the women’s season, the team placed 10th at the Chile Pepper Festival and 12th at the Texas A&M Invitational.
The men’s team has been consistent throughout their season as they placed third at the Chile Pepper Festival and fourth at the Texas A&M Invitational.
In the SBC championships, the men finished with a time of 2:08:51 right behind UT Arlington who had a time of 2:08:49. Appalachian State taking first place with a time of 2:08:43.
The men’s team placed five runners in the top 30, and two runners finishing in 40th and 55th place.
Redshirt junior Joseph Meade came in seventh, and senior Logan Pittdman earned a 10th place spot. Redshirt senior Noe Belmares finished in 14th place, senior Jose Angel Gonzalez finished in 18th place and senior Jordan Janer finished in 26th place for the Bobcats.
The men and women’s team will compete at the NCAA South Central Regional Nov. 10 in College Station, Texas.