Something I learned here

Texas State journalism senior poses on a ledge for his graduation photos, Sunday, March 26, 2023, outside LBJ Student Center.

My time here at Texas State has really changed me as a person. It has not only pushed me beyond my limits but also taught me something important…patience. Growing up I was always in a rush to do things. In traffic, at the store, waiting in line, anything that made me wait caused me to get mad or annoyed. I had no patience coming here, but now I feel like I can wait as long as I need. 
I know I didn’t start working until last semester at The University Star, but I feel like I’ve been here for years. The work and time that I put into my stories is something I will never forget, and the experience will help me for my future career. I don’t know what the future holds for me, but I know I have great patience now to figure it out. I don’t settle and I strive for the best in what I want. I no longer am too short on time that I can’t wait for things and settle for whatever is in front of me.
Patience is a great thing to understand in this world, and good things don’t just happen over night. I always stay optimistic and know that if I didn’t get the job, or didn’t get that approval, then it wasn’t meant to be. The University Star has taught me a great deal about patience with waiting to hear back from a potential interview or some data that I needed for a story. There were weeks where I didn’t hear back from a interviewee until the last minute, but it always worked itself out in the end.
I cannot believe that the time to graduate has already come, life really comes at you fast. I thank The University Star for helping me not only in my story writing but also my perspectives on life. The people that I met for stories and the emotion that they had behind them really taught me to be grateful for what I have. To those that have been in my life to see me grow and motivated me to become the best version of myself, I am grateful for you, and I thank you.